Each day, The MMA Corner will provide a recap of results, event announcements, fight matchups, and injuries/cancellations from throughout the world of MMA.
Even after a tough outing in his last fight, the UFC has decided to give Jason “Mayhem” Miller a second chance.
Mayhem will return at UFC 146, which takes place on May 26 in Las Vegas. His opponent will be The Ultimate Fighter 7 alum C.B. “The Doberman” Dollaway.
The announcement was first made on Miller’s Twitter account.
“Fighting @UFC 146. Be there. MGM Grand Garden Arena. May 26th. Gonna show the naysayers and more importantly, us monkeys what I’m capable of.”
In the UFC’s return to Japan, fans will have three ways to watch some MMA action: pay-per-view, FX and Facebook.
UFC officials announced the broadcast schedule recently for next weekend’s event.
Headlining the pay-per-view card will be Frankie Edgar defending his lightweight championship against Ben Henderson. The main card will also feature six other action packed bouts.
Rounding out the card, FX will feature four bouts, while Facebook will broadcast the last remaining fight.
The complete UFC 144 lineup includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
- Champ Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson (for lightweight title)
- Ryan Bader vs. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson
- Cheick Kongo vs. Mark Hunt
- Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields
- Tim Boetsch vs. Yushin Okami
- Hatsu Hioki and Bart Palaszewski
- Joe Lauzon vs. Anthony Pettis
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)
- Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
- Vaughan Lee vs. Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto
- Steve Cantwell vs. Riki Fukuda
- Chris Cariaso vs. Takeya Mizugaki
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
- Issei Tamura vs. Tiequan Zhang
The UFC’s next stop on FX is confirmed with four bouts.
UFC on FX 2 will take place on March 3 from the Allphones Arena in Sydney, but airs in the U.S. on March 2. FX will broadcast the main card, with Fuel TV covering the preliminary fights.
Headlining the event is Thiago Alves taking on Martin Kampmann in a perennial welterweight match-up.
Also on tap is the first ever UFC flyweight tournament, which will feature Joseph Benavidez vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani and Demetrious Johnson squaring off with Ian McCall.
Lastly, Court McGee will go toe-to-toe with Constantinos Philippou in a middleweight bout.
The Fuel TV preliminary bouts have not been named official thus far.
A rematch three-and-a-half years in the making will go down on April 20.
Today, Shinya Aoki and Eddie Alvarez have verbally committed to fight each other at Bellator 66.
The two originally met in December 2008, where Aoki defeated Alvarez by submission in the opening round. Since then Aoki has gone 11-2, and Alvarez 8-1.
Bellator 66 takes place on April 20, but no venue or location has been named thus far.
Bobby Brents made a statement at Cage Warriors Fighting Championships 45 on Saturday by submitting Rogent Lloret. In another spotlight bout, Chris Fields earned a spot in the the final four of the middleweight tournament with a 50 second knockout over Jack Mason.
Cage Warriors Fighting Championships 45 full results:
- Bobby Brents def. Rogent Lloret by (submission) arm-triangle choke. Round 1, 4:41
- James “J.P.” Reese def. Brad Wheeler by unanimous decision
- Chris Fields def. Jack Mason by TKO (kick and punches). Round 1, 0:50 – middleweight-tourney opening round
- Conor McGregor def. Steve O’Keeffe by knockout (elbows). Round 1, 1:33
- Dave Keeley def. Eddy Bengtsson by TKO (elbows). Round 1, 4:40
- Brett Sizeland def. Brett Bassett by TKO (cut). Round 2, 1:47
- Jacek Toczydlowski def. Shah Hussain by unanimous decision
- Charlie Watts def. Chad Brown by submission (punches). Round 2, 2:12
- Ben Hajir def. Michael Jones by submission (armbar). Round 3, 3:06
Deep lightweight champion Mizuto Hirota put his belt on the line at Deep Impact 57 on Saturday and defended it successfully by defeating Seichi Ikemoto.
In the bantamweight division, Yoshiro Maeda took the belt from Takafumi Otsuka by way of submission.
Also, featherweight champion Kazunori Yokota defended his title against Hideki Kadowaki.
A couple of changes have been made for Worldwide MMA on March 31.
Instead of Parisyan taking on Dave Menne, it will be Thomas “Wildman” Denney.
Also, former WEC champion Jamie Varner was expected to face Beerbohm, but Varner has been forced off the card. Beerbohm will now fight Derrick Noble.
Worldwide MMA takes place in El Paso, Tex. on March 31.
Maurice Smith (12-13), a former UFC heavyweight champion, will return to MMA at the age of 50.
Smith is expected to fight Kyle Keeney at Resurrection Fighting Alliance 2 on March 30 in Kearney, Neb.
Headlining the event will be Houston Alexander vs. Gilbert Yvel.
A once beaten Russian Magomed Saadulaev will be added to the Bellator roster.
While once competing at welterweight, Saadulaev will drop down to 155 to compete in the lightweight division.
He is expected to fight in the upcoming season of Bellator, but no opponent has been named yet.
Photo: Jason “Mayhem” Miller (MMAJunkie)