Each day, The MMA Corner will provide a recap of results, event announcements, fight matchups, and injuries/cancellations from throughout the world of MMA.
Bellator heavyweight champion Cole Konrad and Eric Prindle both made weight at 265 for tomorrow night’s Bellator 70 season finale.
Meanwhile, four fighters (denoted below with asterisks by their names) failed to make weight. Their fights will now be catchweight affairs, with the offending fighters penalized a portion of their fight purse.
The main card can be seen on MTV2, while the prelims are viewable on Spike.com.
Main card results:
- Rick Hawn (156) vs. Brent Weedman (156)
- Champ Cole Konrad (265.2) vs. Eric Prindle (265)
- Hiroshi Nakamura (135.8) vs. Luis Nogueira (135.8)
- Derek Campos (154.8) vs. Rich Clementi (157.2)* – 158-pound catchweight
- Keith Schneider (173.6)* vs. Josh Shockley (170.8) – 173-pound catchweight
- A.J. Matthews (170.8) vs. Charlie Rader (171)
- Jeremiah Riggs (185.2) vs. Kelvin Tiller (190.8)*
- Kyle Bradley (156.8)* vs. John Harris (155.8) – 156-pound catchweight
- Derek Arcement (136) vs. Blake Dufour (136)
The odds of Anthony “Rumble” Johnson making weight are never good, and the controversy stirred again at the weigh-ins for Friday evening’s Titan FC 22 event. Although the fight between former UFC fighters Johnson and Dave Branch was billed as a middleweight attraction, Johnson’s management asserted that the two fighters had agreed upon a 195-pound catchweight instead. Johnson weighed in at 194.2 pounds, while Branch tipped the scales at 189.2.
Titan Fighting Championships 22 takes place Friday night and airs live on HDNet.
UFC on Fuel TV 4 adds three more bouts to its July card. Highlighting the newly announced bouts is none other than Damacio Page and Alex “Bruce Leroy” Caceres. Joining them on the card will be Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Anthony Njokuani.
UFC on Fuel TV 4 takes place in San Jose, Calif.
Former UFC lightweight Roger Huerta and Gregor Gracie have both signed on for the next event from rising Asian promotion One FC. Neither fighter’s opponent has been announced yet. Huerta will make his promotional debut at the June 23 event, while Gracie will look to pick up his second win under the One FC banner.
One FC’s June 23 show takes place in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Strikeforce drew 5,413 fans and had a gate worth $226,000 for last weekend’s Heavyweight Grand Prix event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The event featured the finale of the heavyweight tournament, with alternate Daniel Cormier capturing the championship with a unanimous decision win over Josh Barnett.
Of the 5,413 attendees, nearly half (2,609) received complimentary admission.
Cage Warriors welterweight champion Gael Grimaud defeated Jesse Taylor via armbar in the third round to retain his title.
Grimaud found himself in a world of trouble in the first round as Taylor took his back, but Taylor was unable to choke the champion out. After weathering the storm, Grimaud saw an opening for the armbar in the third round and took it.
Main Card Results:
- Champ Gael Grimaud def. Jesse Taylor via submission (armbar) – Round 3, 0:55
- Jim Alers def. Matteus Lahdesmak via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:01
- Ivan Buchinger def. Diego Gonzalez via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:30
- Eddy Bengtsson def. Jay Mortimore via submission (smother choke)
- John Phillips def. Tomas Penz via submission (triangle choke) – Round 2, 3:21
Photo: Eric Prindle (L) and Bellator heavyweight champion Cole Konrad staredown at the Bellator 70 weigh-ins (Bellator Fighting Championships)