Each day, The MMA Corner will provide a recap of results, event announcements, fight matchups, and injuries/cancellations from throughout the world of MMA.

Jason “Mayhem” Miller arrested under suspicion of burglary

Retired Japanese MMA sensation and former Strikeforce and UFC veteran Jason “Mayhem” Miller found himself taken into custody by the Mission Viejo Police Department at approximately 8:30 a.m. PT Monday morning on charges of burglary. Reports indicate that Miller broke into a church, sprayed a fire extinguisher, broke many items inside the church, and despite exhibiting coherence, sat naked on a couch before being taken into custody. Bail is set for $20,000 USD, and the former Strikeforce middleweight title contender’s hearing takes place Wednesday.

Negotiations underway for Wanderlei Silva’s next fight

“The Axe Murderer” Wanderlei Silva may not have an opponent lined up for his next fight yet, but he will get another go-round in the Octagon. Despite a 3-5 career record, Silva’s UFC run featured a handful of entertaining, nail-biting classics, including a recent “Fight of The Night” winner against Rich Franklin at UFC 147 earlier this summer. Fans of Silva can expect no different from the ferocious fan favorite in his next fight, regardless of when it comes or against whom it comes.

Source: MMA Weekly

Coroner reaches inconclusive results” in initial autopsy of Tyrone Mims

Though UFC 150 captured the attention of most of the MMA world this past Saturday, the focus of some MMA fans’ attention shifted upon hearing of the death of 30-year-old amateur fighter Tyrone Mims, who lost consciousness and died just minutes after a second-round loss to Blake Poore at Fight Night at the Point 6 in Mount Pleasant, S.C. An initial autopsy took place Monday, and coroner Rae Wooten found no certain cause of death in the case of the amateur fighter. According to the coroner’s office, they will conduct tests on tissue, as well as blood work and cell examination. However, those following this tragic news story and its aftermath will have to wait several weeks for the results of these tests.

Fred Sternburg, Nike PR both say Nike said “Hello” To Jon Jones, but never said “Goodbye” to Manny Pacquiao

Last week, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones became the global face of the UFC when Nike signed the champion—4-0 in his current light heavyweight title reign—to a global sponsorship deal. The deal will begin effective immediately when Jones walks into the Octagon for his fifth consecutive title defense against Dan Henderson in the headliner of UFC 151 on Sept. 1.

This week, a Nike PR representative shut down rumors that suggested that the brand would drop Filipino slugger, politician, and current boxing great Manny Pacquiao just as they had begun their deal with Jones. Pacquiao, who lost a controversial decision to Timothy Bradley earlier this summer, is still a sponsored athlete under the brand. Fred Sternburg, the official publicist for the eight-division world champion Pacquiao, reaffirms this statement by stating that things have never been better between Pacquiao and the Nike brand, which also shut down a statement made by UFC president Dana White following UFC 150 this past weekend.

Jones, meanwhile, makes history as the very first mixed martial artist to ink a worldwide deal with Nike. Fans should not confuse this worldwide deal with Anderson Silva’s deal with Nike Brazil or the deals of Yoshihiro Akiyama and Caol Uno, both of which are specific to Japan.

Photo: Jason “Mayhem” Miller (right), who recently retired from Mixed Martial Arts (Taro Irei/Sherdog)

About The Author

Dale De Souza
Staff Writer

Dale De Souza is a 22-year-old kid straight out of Texas, who grew up around Professional Wrestling but embraced the beauty of Mixed Martial Arts and Combat Sports at a young age. Dale is a Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report MMA, a writer at The MMA Corner.