On Friday, Dec. 6 (Saturday, Dec. 7 in Australia) the UFC held UFC Fight Night 33: Hunt vs. Bigfoot from the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

In the night’s main event, heavyweights Mark Hunt and Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva locked horns. The Kiwi Hunt was looking to rebound from a violent knockout loss to former champion Junior dos Santos at UFC 160 in May. The loss snapped a four-fight winning streak that included three knockouts. Like Hunt, Silva was also hoping to bounce back from a loss at UFC 160. The Brazilian challenged champion Cain Velasquez for the title, but fell via TKO in less than 90 seconds.

The co-main event featured former light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua against another New Zealand native, James Te Huna. Rua entered the cage in the midst of the first two-fight losing streak of his career, having lost to recent title challengers Alexander Gustafsson and Chael Sonnen. Te Huna, meanwhile, had a four-fight winning streak of his own put to rest in a submission loss to current No. 1 contender Glover Teixeira in May.

The 11-fight event kicked off at 6:30 p.m. ET with a single fight streaming live on the promotion’s Facebook and YouTube pages. Four additional bouts followed on Fox Sports 2 at 7 p.m. ET, with the Fox Sports 1 main card beginning at 9 p.m. ET.

Hunt vs. “Bigfoot” classic ends in a draw

In the main event in Brisbane, Mark Hunt went toe to toe with Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva in a heavyweight clash.

Both came out with a slow pace to feel each other out, until Hunt came forward with a wild shot that missed Silva. As Hunt came forward, Silva landed a counter punch that knocked Hunt down, but Hunt quickly returned to his feet to avoid further damage. Silva tried to clinch with Hunt against the fence, but Hunt reversed the position to gain control.

Bigfoot rushed forward with punches early in round two, but Hunt stayed composed to circle out. Hunt landed a solid straight right hand, but for the most part, it was a very methodical round. Silva battered the lead leg of Hunt and forced him to alter his stance as the second frame ended.

Hunt came out and actually landed a takedown on Silva 30 seconds into round three, but could not keep the Brazilian there. Silva scrambled out. Both men landed solid shots, but none bigger than a straight right hand by Hunt that dropped Silva. Hunt went to work from the top to try to find holes to do more damage, but he settled for short punches and elbows until the horn sounded.

Silva put leather on the chin of Hunt, but Hunt countered to land a double-leg takedown. Silva looked to grab a hold of Hunt’s arm from the bottom, but ended up working to get back to his feet. Hunt mixed up his attack to land a couple elbows, then punches. But Silva stormed back to tag Hunt with shots. Both men answered each shot that was thrown until Silva took the fight to the mat. Silva transitioned to full mount and began pounding on Hunt, but could not finish.

Hunt came out in the fifth round, still with power in his punches, and continually landed to the chin of Silva. At one point, Silva had Hunt backed against the cage while peppering his chin, but Hunt ate and returned each punch. Both warriors used every drip of blood and sweat they had until the final horn sounded.

In the end, the scorecard returned a majority draw.

“Shogun” knocks out Te Huna

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and James Te Huna met in the co-main event with much at stake for their careers.

Te Huna tried to take down Rua seconds into the fight, but the Brazilian sprawled well to remain standing. After mixing it up with each other, Shogun threw a massive left hook that landed square on the chin of Te Huna, who was out before he hit the mat.

The finish came at 1:03 of the opening round, giving Shogun his first win since August 2012.

Bader batters Perosh

A pair of light heavyweights went to war when Ryan Bader took on Australia’s own Anthony Perosh.

From the start, Perosh obliged to stand and trade with Bader, but “Darth” got the better end of the strikes. Bader battered him with strikes on the feet before winding up on top of the Aussie, where he continued to do the same. Perosh returned to his feet and came forward with punches, but Bader had an answer once again to return to the mat. Bader landed elbows as the round ended and busted open Perosh.

Bader took his opponent to the canvas early in round two and stayed there the entire duration by keeping the strikes coming. Perosh had no way of answering or escaping the shots, allowing Bader to have a 10-8 round.

In round three, Bader easily put Perosh on his back and landed a couple of hammer fists before changing position. After controlling Perosh, Bader opened up with punches, but could not get the finish.

Bader easily took home a unanimous decision win to get back on track.

Palelei makes quick work of Barry

The first of two heavyweight fights was next as Pat Barry locked horns with Soa Palelei.

Palelei stormed Barry to begin the first round, looking for a takedown, while Barry opened with kicks. Barry landed a knee to the body, but Palelei used it to take his opponent to the ground. From there, “The Hulk” mounted Barry and immediately rained down punches until Barry went out.

Palelei has now won his last 10 fights, all by knockout or TKO.

Hester defeats Andrews by TKO due to injury

Two housemates from The Ultimate Fighter 17 put their friendship aside as Dylan Andrews took on Clint Hester.

Hester landed a big right hand to begin round one, but after some exchanges, Andrews landed a perfectly timed takedown. Andrews tried to lock up a guillotine choke, but Hester reversed the position to become the man on top. With 20 seconds remaining in the round, Andrews landed another takedown to finish in side control.

A contrast of round one, Hester came out and landed an impressive takedown in the second. Hester landed big elbows from the top and remained in control until landing big shots as the middleweights stood up.

Following the second round, Andrews went to his corner complaining about his shoulder. Doctors ruled it was separated, and the fight was awarded to Hester via TKO due to injury.

Correia out-duels Kedzie

The ladies kicked off the main card on Fox Sports 1 when UFC newcomer Bethe Correia met veteran Julie Kedzie.

Both women came out swinging in the opening round, with Correia being the faster fighter. Kedzie got off some solid technical shots, but Correia did just a tad more while also looking to land takedowns in the process.

Kedzie looked to bait Correia in and landed a front kick to the midsection in round two. Correia tried to clinch with the veteran against the cage, but Kedzie had more success in the round by landing more strikes than her opponent.

Correia came out in the final round more aggressive than in the second and remained active with punches. After catching a Kedzie kick, Correia earned a takedown that allowed her to drag Kedzie against the cage. Correia tried to take Kedzie’s back, but Kedzie escaped to return to her feet. The ladies exchanged combinations to close out the fight.

In a split decision verdict, Correia earned the nod to claim her first UFC victory.

Preliminary Card Summary

In the final prelim bout, bantamweights Takeya Mizugaki and Nam Phan put on a “Fight of the Night”-caliber bout that went the distance. Phan was able to win one round, but Mizugaki easily earned the first two to earn a unanimous verdict. The Japanese fighter has now won his last four fights.

Brazilian grappler Caio Magalhaes returned to face Nick “The Promise” Ring and string together another victory following a submission of Karlos Vemola. Magalhaes and Ring went the distance, with “Hellboy” earning the nod with 29-28 scores on each of the judges’ cards.

Debuting flyweights entered the cage when once-defeated Richie Vaculik battled undefeated Justin Scoggins. The 21-year-old Scoggins put on an impressive display with his striking game and capped it off by earning a TKO stoppage in the first round due to punches.

Krzysztof Jotko and Bruno Santos, two undefeated middleweights at 13-0, stepped on the big stage for the first time. In a unanimous decision verdict, Jotko took the nod to keep his unblemished record alive.

In the lone online prelim bout of the card, Tristar Gym’s own Alex Garcia made his Octagon debut after four consecutive wins. He went up against Ben “Manimal” Wall. It only took Garcia 43 seconds of the first round to deliver a big uppercut to Wall for the knockout.

Mark Hunt and Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva fight to a majority draw (48-47, 47-47, 47-47)
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua def. James Te Huna by knockout (punch). Round 1, 1:03
Ryan Bader def. Anthony Perosh by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
Soa Palelei def. Pat Barry by knockout (punches). Round 1, 2:09
Clint Hester def. Dylan Andrews by TKO (injury). Round 2, 5:00
Bethe Correia def. Julie Kedzie by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Takeya Mizugaki def. Nam Phan by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-28)
Caio Magalhaes def. Nick Ring by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Justin Scoggins def. Richie Vaculik by TKO (punches). Round 1, 4:43
Krzysztof Jotko def. Bruno Santos by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
Alex Garcia def. Ben Wall by knockout (punches). Round 1, 0:43

Photo: Mark Hunt (Esther Lin/MMA Fighting)

About The Author

Corey Adams
Staff Writer

Corey Adams didn't grow up watching mixed martial arts, considering the UFC was just getting started the year he was born, but in his teenage years, witnessed the action and has fallen in love with the sport. Corey was the first to join The MMA Corner staff -- other than founder Josh Davis -- and has been writing for the site ever since. Corey attends Austin Peay State University, where he majors in Communications with a focus on journalism. When he's not covering MMA, Corey is still writing on many sports with both local and campus newspapers. His favorite sports teams are the Atlanta Braves and Denver Broncos. Follow him on Twitter at the link below.