Behind every great fighter is a great trainer, and Vitor Belfort is no exception.

Belfort gets to claim Gilbert “Durinho” Burns as his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu coach. Durinho is a three-time IBJJF World champion. He was also Belfort’s grappling coach during his tenure on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil. Not one to just sit on the sidelines, Durinho is one of Belfort’s regular training partners, and his undefeated MMA record proves why.

Despite making his professional MMA debut in the United States two years ago, Durinho has spent the rest of his career fighting in his home country of Brazil. In those two years, he has amassed an impressive 6-0 record with four submission and two knockout/TKO wins, all ending in the first round. Now living full-time in Florida with Belfort and training out of the famous Blackzilians in Boca Raton, Durinho is ready to fight once again in front of an American audience at Legacy Fighting Championship 29 in Tulsa, Okla. on March 21.

Although he doesn’t have an opponent yet, Burns will be looking to make an impressive showing at the televised event in the hopes of making it into the UFC shortly after.

“That’s my goal,” Durinho told The MMA Corner in an exclusive interview.

The UFC’s lightweight division has had the most contested title the last few years, but even with so much talent Durinho thinks the choice of who is the top guy is pretty cut and dry.

“I think it’s for sure [Anthony] Pettis,” said Burns, who also believes the rest of the division is very stacked right now. But, as he put it, current champion Pettis stands out not only because of his grappling and striking. “He has a good chin [and] knockout power. I like this guy a lot.”

Durinho may have a fight coming up himself in two months, but as a key member of Belfort’s coaching staff, he’s also focused on how the former champion is training and preparing for his title fight against Chris Weidman.

“Vitor’s doing great. He’s [had his] best performances,” Durinho says, referring to Belfort’s three straight knockout performances against top-10 talent. “He’s training hard every day. I think he’s in the best shape ever. He’s going to do good.”

The main challenge in front of Belfort may be Weidman, but Durinho, as a coach, has to always keep his eyes on what’s coming over the horizon. In his mind, there are plenty of threats lurking in the middleweight division.

“[Ronaldo] ‘Jacare’ [Souza],” he said, listing off those he considers to be the top 185ers. “Then [Gegard] Mousasi [and] Lyoto [Machida]. But after Weidman, I think Jacare is the most dangerous guy for sure.”

Jacare is currently ranked No. 3 in the middleweight division. Machida stands at No. 4. Mousasi is yet to fight as a middleweight in the UFC, but he is ranked No. 9 as a light heavyweight. Machida and Mousasi are scheduled to fight each other on Feb. 15 in a middleweight contest.

Meanwhile, no date has been scheduled for when Belfort will face Weidman for the UFC middleweight championship, but it has been stated the bout will take place in Las Vegas, possibly in May or July. In 2006, Belfort tested positive for 4-hydroxytestosterone, an anabolic agent with known anti-estrogenic properties, following his decision loss to Dan Henderson at Pride 32 in Las Vegas.

The former Executive Director of the NSAC, Keith Kizer, had a strict no-exceptions policy with regard to fighters if they had previously failed a pre- or post-fight drug test and were wishing to get a TUE. No announcement has been made yet by the State of Nevada as to who will replace Kizer in the position, nor is there any word on the status of Belfort’s license. Belfort last fought in Las Vegas in 2011 when he lost to Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title. Five of his next six bouts took place outside of the United States, with four of them coming as headline billings in Brazil.

The letters T-R-T and T-U-E are often associated with Belfort. The Brazilian has relied on testosterone replacement therapy and therapeutic use exemptions to allow him to remain in peak form. With so much controversy surrounding the topic, though, as well as the pending nature of Belfort’s ability to get a license in Nevada, you would think it would be something for which his camp would show more concern. However, Durinho doesn’t seem worried about it one bit. In fact, he is glad the bout will take place in the fight capital of the world, Las Vegas.

“I don’t care [about TUE in Nevada],” Burns revealed. “He’s in good shape. He’s going to prove to everybody he’s ready and that he’s the best. I think that’s a good [motivator]. He’s still knocking people out and a lot of guys talk about the TRT, [so] I think that fight is going to prove to everybody he doesn’t go over [the limit].”