Bellator returned from the Thanksgiving break to host its 82nd event from the Soaring Eagle Casino in & Resort in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

In the night’s main event, the season-seven welterweight tournament champion was crowned as former champion Lyman Good battled unbeaten Russian Andrey Koreshkov. The winner will challenge the winner of the season-eight title bout between champion Ben Askren and challenger Karl Amoussou.

Four fights graced the MTV2-broadcast main card, which kicked off at 8 p.m. ET.

An additional six bouts filled the preliminary card which streamed live on beginning at 6 p.m. ET.

Koreshkov too much for Good, earns tournament title

Explosive Russian Andrey Koreshkov kept his undefeated record intact and earned a $100,000 payday along with a title shot by outworking former champion Lyman Good.

The first round saw the 22-year-old Russian use his striking to keep Good at bay. Koreshkov scored repeatedly with uppercuts before clipping Good with a big left hand that dropped the former title holder. Good managed to absorb the onslaught, but clearly dropped the round.

In the middle frame, Koreshkov opened strong with his striking once more, but Good countered with a single-leg takedown. Once in the dominant position, Good transitioned to Koreshkov’s back and threatened to submit the Russian fighter. Good’s efforts were for naught as Koreshkov found his way back to the feet before the round came to a close.

With the fight even heading to the final round, it was Koreshkov who dug deep and outworked Good in the last five minutes. After trading on the feet for the first few minutes, the former FILA Pankration World Championship Gold Medalist took Good down to the mat and used his top control to ride out the final moments.

The scorecards reflected the action in the cage as all three judges scored the bout 29-28 for the Russian who moves on to face the Askren-Amoussou winner sometime next year.

Rickels edges game Fischer

In his first bout outside the welterweight division, “The Caveman” David Rickels handed Jason “The Finisher” Fischer his first professional loss.

The opening stanza saw Fischer use his speed to get the better of his larger opponent. Fischer scored frequently on the feet, before landing a takedown and dropping ground and pound.

Rickels adjusted to Fischer’s speed in the second frame, using his size to push Fischer against the cage and deliver clinch elbows. Rickels jumped to Fischer’s back at one point and then moved to the mount to drop heavy shots from the top. Despite a large cut over his left eye, Fischer fought hard until the bell.

In the final round Rickels found himself on top early, scoring with more ground and pound. Fischer managed to escape and reverse the position, but unlike Rickels, he was unable to remain active from the top. Rickels game close to finishing the fight with an armbar off his back, but Fischer stood on his neck to force an escape.

When the scores were revealed, it was Rickels who came out on top.

Marshall knocks out Hose

In a battle of hard-hitting middeweight knockout artists, UFC veteran Doug Marshall made short work of opponent Kala Hose.

The two Bellator newcomers wasted little time engaging as Marshall charged forward. After a wild exchange, it was Hose that connected with a knee from the clinch that sent Marshall backpedaling. As Hose barreled toward Marshall, “The Rhino” delivered a vicious left hook that sent Hose’s unconscious body falling to the mat.

It took all of 22 seconds for Marshall to make his mark on his new promotion and the 37-year-old stated his desire to compete in one of the upcoming 2013 tournaments.

Sarnavskiy dominates Hervey

Highly-touted Russian lightweight Alexander “Tiger” Sarnavskiy bounced back from the first loss of his career to dominate Tony Hervey over the course of three rounds.

It appeared as if Sarnavskiy would finish off the overmatched Hervey in the first frame as he scored a takedown, moved to the mount and attacked with a deep armbar. Hervey somehow survived and escaped, but ate ground and pound from the bottom for the remainder of the round.

Round two was similar as the Russian quickly put Hervey on his back and again moved to mount. Sarnavskiy rained punches and elbows from the top, but Hervey continued to survive the onslaught.

The final frame saw Hervey push the action more than the first two rounds, but again, he spent the vast majority of the round on his back with Sarnavskiy battering him from the top position. Aside from a wild scramble that saw Hervey try to use the cage to perform a backflip escape, Sarnavskiy was in complete control until the final bell.

When the scorecards were read, all three judges gave Sarnavskiy a score of 30-27.

Andrey Koreshkov def. Lyman Good by unanimous decision (29-28 x3) (welterweight tournament champion)
David Rickels def. Jason Fischer by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
Doug Marshall def. Kala Hose by knockout (punch). Round 1, 0:22
Alexander Sarnavskiy def. Tony Hervey by unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
John Schulz def. Hector Garcia by TKO (strikes). Round 3, 2:45
Jeremy Czarnecki def. Justin Houghton by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
Terry Davinney def. Matt Van Buren by knockout (punches). Round 1, 0:15
Giva Santana def. Brendan Seguin by submission (kneebar). Round 2, 2:33
Shawn Bunch def. Chad Coon by unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
Mario Navarro def. Anthony Bain by submission (triangle choke). Round 2, 3:18

Photo: Andrey Koreshkov (Keith Mills/Sherdog)

About The Author

The MMA Corner Staff

Your home for all things MMA. News, Interviews, Event Coverage, Editorials. If it is MMA related, you will find it on The MMA Corner.