MMA has come a long way since its inception; it has grown from being a gritty toughman-esq competition that just wanted to find out what martial arts style was the best, into a true sporting event and martial art all its own. MMA today looks nothing like it did in the early days and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But that doesn’t mean it’s not fun to reminisce about the good ole’ days.

The one part of MMA we truly miss in its modern form is the “Freakshow Fight”. For those of you who don’t know, a “Freakshow Fight” is a fight that pits two fighters against each other that have no business fighting; generally there is a crazy size difference between the fighters.

So in honor of our love for “Freakshow Fights”, we at The MMA Corner will share our favorite videos of our favorite fights that had no business ever taking place.

This week we honor two Freakshow FOTW regulars, Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock, who competed in the main event last Friday at Bellator 138. This was both men’s first pro-MMA fight in five years, and was billed as “Unfinished Business,” because they were originally scheduled to fight back in 2008 at EliteXC: Heat, but due to unforseen circumstances, and a pipe disagreeing with Shamrock’s head, did not take place. Slice would go on to face and lose to last minute replacement Seth Petruzelli, and not only suffer a knockout loss but lead to the folding of EliteXC completely.

This was the fight no one asked for that everyone watched. It is the quintessential example of a modern MMA freakshow fight, and could only take place somwhere with a propped up athletic comission, like Missouri. While not necessarily controversial, the performance by both men prompted UFC color commentator Joe Rogan to question the authenticity of it, and go as far as to say it was a work and “looked fake.”

The bout itself started off well enough, with Shamrock pressing the action, but then there was a solid minute with both men in the clinch in the middle if the cage doing nothing. They would break, and Shamrock would easily take Kimbo down, where he almost finished a rear-naked choke. Kimbo would fend it up, get to his feet, and land some heavy shots to silence “The World’s Most Dangerous Man,” and force legendary referee “Big” John McCarthy to call a stop to the contest at 2:22 of the first round.


About The Author

Associate Editor/Senior Writer